Most memorials or monuments include your lost loved one’s name, relationship, birth and death date. However, also including a personal memorial quote or special saying can make your loved one’s final resting place much more comforting and unique.
Memorial quotes—or epitaphs—are engraved on memorials like cemetery markers and mausoleums to portray the significance and memory of a lost loved one.
From values to character, personality and interests, the following list provides endless memorial quote options unique to your loved one’s life.
Click through the different non-religious and religious memorial quote sections linked below for inspiration as you begin designing your loved one’s headstone.
For a downloadable version of this guide, please click here.
Commonly Used Memorial Quotes
When deciding on a memorial quote, it’s important to consider what kind of message best represents your loved one. Here are some of the most commonly used epitaphs to serve as a starting point.
- We miss you and love you always.
- Nothing can ever take away a love the heart holds dear.
- Those who touch our lives, stay in our hearts forever.
- Your life was a blessing, your memory a treasure. You are loved beyond words and missed beyond measure.
- The best is yet to come.
- When someone you love becomes a memory, the memory becomes a treasure.
- Not a day goes by when you are not loved and missed.
- A heart of gold stopped beating / Working hands at rest / God broke our hearts to prove to us / He only takes the best / Leaves and flowers may wither / The golden sun may set / But the hearts that loved you dearly / Are the ones that won’t forget.
- You may be gone from my sight, but you are never gone from my heart.
- Our hearts still ache in sadness and secret tears still flow. What it means to lose you, no one will ever know.
- It broke my heart to lose you, but you didn't go alone. Part of me went with you, wherever you may roam.
- Remembering you is easy. I do it every day, but there is an ache within my heart that will never go away.
- I did not see you close your eyes or hear your last sigh. I only heard that you were gone, too late to say goodbye.
- No farewell words were spoken, there was no time to say goodbye. You were gone before we knew it and only God knows why.
- Beautiful as a bright shining star.
- Goodbye is not forever. Goodbye is not the end. It simply means I'll miss you until we meet again.
- It's hard to forget someone who gave me so much to remember.
- Sometimes memories sneak out of my eyes and roll down my cheeks.
- There is no foot too small, that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.
- The loss is immeasurable, but so is the love left behind.
Famous Memorial Quotes
There are thousands of quotes from well-known individuals, books or prayers that can be turned into beautiful memorial quotes for headstones. Below are several of the most common famous memorial quotes that families incorporate into their loved one’s headstones.
- “There are special people in our lives who never leave us, even after they are gone.”
- “We do not remember days, we remember moments.”
- “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”
- “The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart.”
- “If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together, there is something you must always remember. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think. But the most important thing is, even if we're apart, I'll always be with you.”
—Winnie The Pooh
- “How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.”
—Winnie The Pooh
- “There are no goodbyes for us. Wherever you are, you will always be in my heart.”
- “I'll remember you. When I've forgotten all the rest. You to me were true. You to me were the best.”
- “Know when to seek peace / For as long as the moon shall rise / For as long as the rivers shall flow / For as long as the sun shall shine / For as long as the grass shall grow / Let us have peace.”
—Native American Poem
- “Our legacy is really the lives we touch, the inspiration we give, altering someone's plan - if even for a moment - and getting them to think, cry, laugh, argue. More than anything, we are remembered for our smiles; the ones we share with our closest and dearest, and the ones we bestow on a total stranger, who needed it right then, and God put you there to deliver.”
- “To the world you may be one person; but to one person you may be the world.”
- “As long as we live, they too will live; for they are now a part of us; as we remember them.”
- “Lives are like rivers: Eventually they go where they must. Not where we want them to.”
- “Love is how often you stay alive, even after you are gone.”
Short Memorial Quotes
If you aren’t able to find a lengthier epitaph, Bible verse or famous quote you like, short memorial quotes are just as impactful. Here are some short memorial quotes you’ll see at a cemetery.
- In loving memory.
- Loving you forever.
- Forever in our hearts.
- Greatly loved, deeply missed.
- Beloved by all who knew them.
- Rest in peace.
- You will forever be my always.
Memorial Quotes For Parents and Grandparents
Personalizing a parent’s or grandparent’s headstone is one of the most important ways to honor their unique life lived. Choose one of the following memorial quotes that best suits your loved one.
- We lived together in happiness. Now we rest together in peace.
- Loving and kind in all their ways, upright and just to the end of their days. Sincere and true in heart and mind, what a beautiful memory they left behind.
- “Let the stars keep track of us. Let us ride our own orbits and trust that they will meet. May our reunion be not a finding but a sweet collision of destinies!”
- Our parents, you are with us always—whether near or far. For you see, we’re connected by the heart.
Mother and Grandmother Memorial Quotes
Consider the following memorial quotes for mothers and grandmothers when designing their headstone.
- To know even one life breathed easier because she lived is to know she truly succeeded while here.
- A mother holds her children’s hands for a while, their hearts forever.
- A woman of grace and dignity.
- She is clothed with strength and dignity and laughs without fear of the future.
- Honor her for all that her hands have done, and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.
- Many women have done excellently, but you surpass them all.
- No one spreads more love in one lifetime.
- A grandma is someone who plays a special part in all the treasured memories we hold within our heart.
- If roses are growing in Heaven, I will ask for God to pick a bunch of them for me and send them to my grandmother.
- A garden of love in a grandmother’s heart and I was the lucky recipient of that wonderful love.
- A grandmother is a little bit parent, a little bit teacher, and a little bit best friend.
- Today she dances with angels.
- Wherever a beautiful soul has been, there is a trail of beautiful memories.
- "You are gone, but thank you for all these soft, sweet things you left behind. In my home, in my head, in my heart."
- "She made broken look beautiful and strong look invincible. She walked with the universe on her shoulders and made it look like a pair of wings."
- "All that I am or ever hope to be, I owe to my angel mother."
Father and Grandfather Memorial Quotes
Consider the following memorial quotes for fathers and grandfathers when designing their headstone.
- A loving father, tender and kind, what a beautiful memory you left behind.
- “A father knows his child's heart, as only a child can know his father’s.”
- Anyone can be a father, but it takes someone special to be a dad.
- Dad, your guiding hand on my shoulder will remain with me forever.
- As a father has compassion on his children, so the Lord has compassion on those who fear him.
- “Grandfathers give us not only wisdom and encouragement but they are an inspiration to us.”
- My grandfather didn’t tell me how to live, he lived. And let me watch him do it.
- One day we will meet again with you, Grandpa.
- Known for making childhoods unforgettable.
- Happiness is Grandpa hugs.
- A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart.
- It’s hard to forget someone who gave you so much to remember.
- No man is indispensable but some are irreplaceable.
- “Say not in grief ‘he is no more’ but in thankfulness that he was.”
- The world is diminished because he is gone. But it is still a better place because he was here.
- His mission on Earth is fulfilled.
- He asked for so little, but gave so very much.
- “He who has achieved success has lived well, laughed often and loved much.”
—Bessie Anderson Stanley
Memorial Quotes For Teachers
Creating a headstone or community memorial is one way to help you cope with the loss of a teacher and/or memorialize a loved one that dedicated their life to teaching. Here are a few memorial quotes for teachers you can choose to incorporate as you begin the design process.
- They always made the classroom brighter with their knowledge and wisdom.
- A good teacher is like a candle—it consumes itself to light the way for others.
- “The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don’t tell you what to see.”
—Alexandra K. Trenfor
- “Because I knew you, I have been changed for good.”
- A good education can change anyone. A good teacher can change everything.
- To the world you may just be a teacher, but to your students, you were the world.
- A teacher is the greatest blessing of the Lord.
- With his insight and experience, he always made the classroom brighter.
- Once in a lifetime people get to meet an amazing teacher like him.
- Teachers plant seeds that grow forever.
- She made a difference in the lives she touched.
- In grateful remembrance of a teacher who made a difference.
- Kids always first.
- “The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires.”
—William Arthur Ward
- “Teachers, in their way, are holy angels leading their flocks out of the darkness.”
- “Teachers can make such a profound impact on our lives and should be honored as heroes.”
- “A teacher affects eternity; he can never tell where his influence stops.”
—Henry B. Adams
- “It’s the teacher that makes the difference, not the classroom.”
- “Education is simply the soul of a society as it passes from one generation to another.”
- “Education is the movement from darkness to light.”
- “Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.”
Memorial Quotes For Music Lovers
Adding a special saying that relates to your loved one’s interests, like a love for music, helps make their final resting place much more personalized. Some of the following memorial quotes for music lovers may be a perfect fit for your lost loved one.
- "Lesser artists borrow, great artists steal."
- "To send light into the darkness of men's hearts - such is the duty of the artist."
- “Music is well said to be the speech of angels.”
- “Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything.”
- “Music, once admitted to the soul, becomes a sort of spirit, and never dies.”
- “I see my life in terms of music.”
- “Music is the moonlight in the gloomy night of life.”
―Jean Paul Friedrich Richter
- “Music, when soft voices die, vibrates in the memory.”
―Percy Bysshe Shelley
- “If you play music with passion and love and honesty, then it will nourish your soul, heal your wounds and make your life worth living. Music is its own reward.”
- “When you play, never mind who listens to you.”
- “Works of art make rules; rules do not make works of art.”
- “Mournful and yet grand is the destiny of the artist.”
- “There was no one near to confuse me, so I was forced to become original.”
—Franz Joseph Haydn
- “I would rather write 10,000 notes than a single letter of the alphabet.”
—Ludwig van Beethoven
- “The music is not in the notes, but in the silence between.”
—Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
- “Imagination creates reality.”
- “Musicians want to be the loud voice for so many quiet hearts.”
- “If everything was perfect, you would never learn and you would never grow.”
- “Despite everything, no one can dictate who you are to other people.”
- “Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.”
Song Lyrics for Headstones
- "Living in Paradise" by Elvis Costello and the Attractions
'Cause meanwhile up in Heaven they are waiting at the gate
Saying 'We'd always knew you'd make it,
Didn't think you'd come this late.
- "I'll Fly Away" by Allison Krauss and Gillian Welch
Some bright morning when this life is over, I'll fly away.
- "Tangled Up in Blue" by Bob Dylan
The only thing I knew how to do
Was to keep on keepin' on
Like a bird that flew.
- "If I Had a Boat" by Lyle Lovett
But Tonto he was smarter
And one day said, 'kemo sabe,
Kiss my ass I bought a boat
I'm going out to sea.’
- “Live Like You Were Dying” by Tim McGraw
And he said someday I hope you get the chance
To live like you were dying.
- “If I Die Young” by The Band Perry
Lord, make me a rainbow, I'll shine down on my mother
She'll know I'm safe with you when she stands under my colors.
- “In Loving Memory” by Alter Bridge
I carry the things that remind me of you
In loving memory of the one that was so true
You were as kind as you could be
And even though you're gone
You still mean the world to me.
Memorial Quotes For Athletes, Coaches and Sports Lovers
Oftentimes, quotes for athletes or coaches appear on memorial plaques, community memorials or dedications at sports stadiums. The following list includes several memorial quotes for a lost loved one who was an athlete, coach or sports lover.
- Those we love never leave us. They become our guardian angels in the outfield.
- A coach will impact more young people in a year than the average person does in a lifetime.
- At peace in Heaven’s end zone. Forever in our hearts.
- Gone to play ball with the angels.
- I’d give my best day to play ball with you one more time.
- Those we love don’t go away—they play beside us every day.
- “Champions keep playing until they get it right.”
—Billie Jean King
- “I’ve failed over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.”
- “You miss 100 percent of the shots you don’t take.”
- “A trophy carries dust. Memories last forever.”
—Mary Lou Retton
- “Persistence can change failure into extraordinary achievement.”
- “Never let the fear of striking out get in your way.”
- “Somewhere behind the athlete you’ve become and the hours of practice and the coaches who have pushed you is a little girl who fell in love with the game and never looked back…play for her.”
- As you look down from Heaven onto all of the fields you ever set foot upon, I hope you smile at the lives you have touched and the legacy you have left. May God place his hand on your shoulder and say, “Well done”.
- “Your vision will become clear only when you can look into your own heart. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes.”
- A great coach is hard to find, but impossible to forget.
- “A good coach will make his players see what they can be rather than what they are.”
- “A leader takes people where they want to go. A great leader takes people where they don’t necessarily want to go, but ought to be.”
- “A good coach can change a game. A great coach can change a life.”
- Leadership is about making others better as a result of your presence and making sure that impact lasts in your absence.
- There are some who bring a light so great to the world, that even after they have gone, the light remains.
Memorial Quotes For Husband and Wife
Whether a couple is planning their memorial design together or individually after the husband or wife passes, one of the first items that need to be considered is how the headstone design will honor both of their lives. These memorial quotes are perfect for husband and wife headstones.
- In you, I’ve found the love of my life.
- Forever and always the hero of my heart.
- “A soulmate is one person whose love is powerful enough to motivate you to meet your soul, to do the emotional work of self-discovery, of awakening.”
- “Real love stories never have endings.”
- “True love lasts forever.”
—Joseph B. Wirthlin
- Two halves of the same soul joining together in life’s journey.
- “Part of my soul has loved you since the beginning of everything.”
- “You were the love that made all the others irrelevant.”
- You will forever be my always.
- “A great marriage is not when the ‘perfect couple’ comes together. It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.”
- “Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.”
—1 Corinthians 13:4-5
—1 Corinthians 13:8
- “Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves.”
- “Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their labor. If either of them falls down, one can help the other up.”
- “Place me like a seal over your heart, like a seal on your arm; for love is as strong as death, its jealousy unyielding as the grave. It burns like blazing fire, like a mighty flame.”
—Song of Songs 8:6
- “Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins.”
—1 Peter 4:8
- “No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us.”
—1 John 4:12
- “And above all these put on love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony.”
- “Let all that you do be done in love.”
—1 Corinthians 16:14
- Forever in our hearts.
- Together in life and death.
- Always in our hearts.
- Everlasting love.
- Your love will light the way, and your memory will be forever with us.
- Together forever with our Savior.
Click here to view our gallery of husband and wife headstones.
Memorial Quotes For Nature Lovers
The elements of nature often serve as a subtle reminder that our lost loved ones are near. Memorial quotes can also serve as daily reminders of your loved one. If nature was a big part of your loved one’s life, consider using one of these epitaphs on their headstone.
- “Nature is not a place to visit, it is home.”
- “Where flowers bloom, so does hope.”
—Lady Bird Johnson
- “For life and death are one, even as the river and sea are one.”
- “To see a world in a grain of sand and a Heaven in a wildflower.”
- “The true meaning of life is to plant trees, under whose shade you do not expect to sit.”
- “Seeing death as the end of life is like seeing the horizon as the end of the ocean.”
- “Perhaps they are not stars, but rather openings in Heaven where the love of our lost ones pours through and shines down upon us to let us know they are happy.”
- “Where you tend a rose, a thistle cannot grow.”
—Frances Hodgson Burnett
- “The butterfly counts not months but moments; and has time enough.”
- “Look for me in the rainbows, way up in the sky.”
- To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.
- “Rise above the storm and you will find the sunshine.”
- “But tomorrow may rain, so I’ll follow the sun.”
- “Autumn whispered in the wind, ‘I fall but always rise again.’”
- “The day the Lord created hope was probably the same day he created spring.”
- “Winter passes and one remembers one’s perseverance.”
- “No winter lasts forever. No spring skips its turn.”
Memorial Quotes For Travelers
Travel takes us out of our comfort zones and inspires us to see, try and learn new things. If traveling was a big part of your loved one’s life, consider using one of these travel memorial quotes on their headstone.
- The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
- Dare to live the life you've always wanted.
- In the end, we only regret the chances we didn’t take.
- Not all those who wander are lost.
- Always take the scenic road.
- Travel makes you realize that no matter how much you know, there’s always more to learn.
Memorial Quotes For Artists
If you ask an artist what they were meant to do in this life, they are sure to tell you it was to live out loud in creativity. If your loved one spent the majority of their life creating art, consider using one of these art-related memorial quotes on their headstone.
- “Art is never finished, only abandoned.”
—Leonardo Da Vinci
- “Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it.”
- “I dream of painting and then I paint my dream.”
—Vincent Van Gogh
- “Art is not a thing, it is a way.”
- I would like to paint the way a bird sings.
- “The artist sees what others only catch a glimpse of.”
—Leonardo Da Vinci
Memorial Quotes For Animal Lovers
Pets provide companionship and bring joy to many people’s lives. If animals were a big part of your loved one’s personality, consider using one of these memorial quotes on their headstone.
- “The ideal of calm exists in a sitting cat.”
- “Until one has loved an animal, a part of one’s soul remains unawakened.”
- “An animal’s eyes have the power to speak a great language.”
- “A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself.”
- Running through the fields of Heaven with my furry friend.
- The best day of my life is when I get to meet my furry friend again.
- No Heaven will be a Heaven without my furry friend there.
Memorial Quotes For Book Lovers
For many, reading unlocks aspects of themselves they never knew existed. If your loved one spent a large portion of their life with their nose in a book, consider using one of these memorial quotes on their headstone.
- “A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies.”
—George R.R. Martin
- “The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.”
- “The whole world opened to me when I learned to read.”
―Mary McLeod Bethune
- “I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library.”
―Jorge Luis Borges
- “A well-read woman is a dangerous creature.”
- “In the end, we’ll all become stories.”
Memorial Quotes About Rest
Perhaps your loved one was suffering a terminal illness or was simply in pain from aging. When this rings true, we often just wish our loved one peace and rest. Below are a few simple yet impactful memorial quotes about rest.
- May she rest in peace.
- May he rest in peace.
- May they rest in peace.
- Our Lord give us peace.
- Rest in God’s loving care.
- The just man shall be in rest.
- Eternal rest grant unto them, O Lord.
- And you may find eternal rest.
- Sleep on now and take your rest.
Memorial Quotes About Prayer
If your family or your lost loved one was a religious person and was known to use the power of prayer often, one of these memorial quotes about prayer may be the perfect fit for their headstone.
- Mother of Christ, pray for us.
- Mother of Mercy, pray for us,
- Mother of God, pray for us.
- Holy Mary, pray for us.
- Our Lady of Lourdes, pray for us.
- St. Joseph, pray for us.
- St. Anthony, pray for us.
- St. Jude, pray for us.
- St. Patrick of Ireland, pray for us.
- Pray for me to the Lord, our God.
Memorial Quotes About Mercy
If your loved one was known to show grace and forgiveness toward others, one of these memorial quotes about mercy may be a good option for their headstone.
- Have mercy on us, O Lord.
- Lord, have mercy.
- "There is no true justice without mercy. Mercy precedes everything, and it is why we are here."
- "The way to forget our miseries, is to remember the God of our mercies.”
- Every new morning shows the mercy of the Almighty God.
- "Embrace all people with love, mercy and faith."
—Lailah Gifty Akita.
- Lord, have mercy upon us.
- Heart of Jesus, have mercy on us.
- Christ, have mercy on us.
Christian Memorial Quotes
Christian quotes or Bible verses are one of the most common epitaphs families put on their loved one’s headstones. If your loved one was religious, one of these memorial quotes may be the perfect headstone addition.
- I am the bread of life.
- I am the light of life.
- To Jesus through Mary.
- The Lord is my refuge.
- God is our refuge and our strength.
- God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference.
- My God and my all.
- My God, I love thee.
- My Lord and my God.
- Sacred heart of Jesus.
- The Lord be with you.
- In God’s loving care.
- Go to God, little angel.
- A heart of gold stopped beating, two shining eyes at rest. God broke our hearts to prove, He only takes the best.
- Queen of the most holy rosary.
- Heart of Mary be our salvation.
- Hail Mary, full of grace.
- Do all for the glory of God.
- Let all that you do be done in charity.
- Into thy hands I commend my spirit.
- He who believes in me hath life everlasting.
- May the angels lead you into paradise.
- Make a joyful noise unto the Lord, serve the Lord with gladness.
—Psalms 100: 1-5
- Let perpetual light shine upon them.
- Thy will be done.
- He who dwells in the shelter of the most high will abide in the shadow of the Almighty.
- Blessed are they that mourn for they shall be comforted.
- The Lord watch between me and thee, while we are absent one from another.
- My kingdom is not of this world.
- Whosoever so believeth in him should not perish but have eternal life.
- Theirs is the kingdom of Heaven.
- In thee, O God, have I hoped.
- My soul hath hoped in the Lord.
- We are saved by hope.
- Thy faith hath saved me.
- I have kept the faith.
- I know Heaven is a beautiful place because they've got you.
- Blessed be God.
- Bless His holy name.
- Blessed are they that trust in Him.
- Blessed are the pure of heart.
- Blessed is the man who maketh the Lord his trust.
Design a Headstone With a Memorial Provider You Can Trust
At Milano Monuments, we personally work with each family and individual to design a memorial that is both personal and exceptional. Whether it is for yourself or a loved one, we will guide you and take the time to answer any questions you may have during this difficult time.
We believe in educating families so they understand the value of this gift that will last forever.
Schedule an appointment and one of our family representatives will partner with you, handle all communication with the cemetery (even for one out of the area or in a different state) and keep you updated as the memorial is created.