In this blog series, we share meaningful memorial inscriptions you can use on your loved one’s headstone. From values to character, personality and interests, this series provides endless memorial quote options unique to your loved one’s life.
Memorialization is an important step in the grieving process that family members and friends can take before or after a memorial service ends. One of the most important ways to memorialize a loved one is by personalizing their headstone to remember a unique life lived. Many families do this with an engraved memorial quote.
Memorial quotes can be simple and include a few descriptive words, or they can be a lengthier personal inscription that reflects your loved one’s values, character, personality or interests.
In this post, we offer several different memorial quotes for music lovers. Adding a special saying that relates to your loved one’s interests, like a love for music, helps make their final resting place much more comforting and unique.
Continue reading for memorial quotes about music, quotes from famous musicians and actual song lyrics that are perfect for headstone inscriptions.
Memorial Quotes About Music
- "Lesser artists borrow, great artists steal."
- "To send light into the darkness of men's hearts - such is the duty of the artist."
- “Music is well said to be the speech of angels.”
- “Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything.”
- “Music, once admitted to the soul, becomes a sort of spirit, and never dies.”
- “I see my life in terms of music.”
- “Music is the moonlight in the gloomy night of life.”
―Jean Paul Friedrich Richter
- “Music, when soft voices die, vibrates in the memory.”
―Percy Bysshe Shelley
- “If you play music with passion and love and honesty, then it will nourish your soul, heal your wounds and make your life worth living. Music is its own reward.”
- “When you play, never mind who listens to you.”
Famous Musician Memorial Quotes
- “Works of art make rules; rules do not make works of art.”
- “Mournful and yet grand is the destiny of the artist.”
- “There was no one near to confuse me, so I was forced to become original.” —Franz Joseph Haydn
- “I would rather write 10,000 notes than a single letter of the alphabet.”
—Ludwig van Beethoven
- “The music is not in the notes, but in the silence between.”
—Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
- “Imagination creates reality.”
- “Musicians want to be the loud voice for so many quiet hearts.”
- “If everything was perfect, you would never learn and you would never grow.”
- “Despite everything, no one can dictate who you are to other people.”
- “Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.”
Song Lyric Memorial Quotes
- "Living in Paradise" by Elvis Costello and the Attractions
'Cause meanwhile up in heaven they are waiting at the gate
Saying 'We'd always knew you'd make it,
Didn't think you'd come this late.
- "I'll Fly Away" by Allison Krauss and Gillian Welch
Some bright morning when this life is over, I'll fly away.
- "Tangled Up in Blue" by Bob Dylan
The only thing I knew how to do
Was to keep on keepin' on
Like a bird that flew.
- "If I Had a Boat" by Lyle Lovett
But Tonto he was smarter
And one day said, 'kemo sabe,
Kiss my ass I bought a boat
I'm going out to sea.’
- “Live Like You Were Dying” by Tim McGraw
And he said someday I hope you get the chance
To live like you were dying.
- “If I Die Young” by The Band Perry
Lord, make me a rainbow, I'll shine down on my mother
She'll know I'm safe with you when she stands under my colors.
- “In Loving Memory” by Alter Bridge
I carry the things that remind me of you
In loving memory of the one that was so true
You were as kind as you could be
And even though you're gone
You still mean the world to me.
Explore the Other Elements of Headstone Design
Engraving a memorial quote is one of several steps in the headstone design process. Uncover even more about memorial design, like headstone shape and granite color, in our Headstone Design Guide.