Choosing the right inscription to engrave on a loved one’s memorial or monument can take days for some and months for others. It makes sense, knowing a memorial is a deeply personal, lasting symbol of a life well lived.
Memorial inscriptions—or epitaphs—are engraved on monuments like cemetery markers and mausoleums to portray the significance and memory of the deceased.
Most memorials or monuments includes basic facts about the deceased, like their name and birth, and death date. However, also including a personal inscription or special saying helps make your loved one’s final resting place much more comforting and unique.
Inscriptions may be Bible verses, religious text or literary quotes. When deciding on an inscription, it’s important to consider what kind of message you want to remember your loved one by.
Below, we’ve provided common religious and non-religious memorial inscriptions, and categorized them as a starting point for inspiration.
- We miss you and love you always!
- Loving you forever.
- Forever in our hearts.
- Nothing can ever take away a love the heart holds dear.
- Those that touch our lives, stay in our hearts forever.
- There are special people in our lives who never leave us, even after they are gone. - D. Morgan
- Your life was a blessing, your memory a treasure. You are loved beyond words and missed beyond measure.
- When someone you love becomes a memory, the memory becomes a treasure.
- We do not remember days, we remember moments. - Cesare Pavese
- Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened. - Dr. Seuss
- Not a day goes by when you are not loved and missed.
- The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen of even touched, they must be felt with the heart. -Helen Keller
- A heart of gold stopped beating Working hands at rest / God broke our hearts to prove to us / He only takes the best Leaves and flowers may wither / The golden sun may set / But the hearts that loved you dearly / Are the ones that won’t forget.
- You left your paw prints all over our hearts forever.
- You may be gone from my sight, but you are never gone from my heart.
- Our hearts still ache in sadness and secret tears still flow. What it means to lose you, no one will ever know.
- It broke my heart to lose you, but you didn't go alone. Part of me went with you, where ever you may roam.
- Remembering you is easy. I do it every day but there is an ache within my heart that will never go away.
- I did not see you close your eyes or hear your last sigh. I only heard that you were gone, too late to say goodbye.
- No farewell words were spoken, there was no time to say goodbye. You were gone before we knew it and only God knows why.
- You will forever be by always.
- Goodbye is not forever. Goodbye is not the end. It simply means I'll miss you until we meet again.
- If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together, there is something you must always remember. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. But the most important thing is, even if we're apart, I'll always be with you. - Winnie The Pooh
- How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard. - Winnie The Pooh
- There are no goodbyes for us. Wherever you are, you will always be in my heart. - Mahatma Gandhi
- I'll remember you. When I've forgotten all the rest. You to me were true. You to me were the best. - Bob Dylan
- May you be in heaven a full half hour before the devil knows you are dead. -Irish Blessing
- Know when to seek peace / For as long as the moon shall rise / For as long as the rivers shall flow / For as long as the sun shall shine / For as long as the grass shall grow /Let us have peace - Native American Poem
- Our legacy is really the lives we touch, the inspiration we give, altering someone's plan - if even for a moment - and getting them to think, cry, laugh, argue. More than anything, we are remembered for our smiles; the ones we share with our closest and dearest, and the ones we bestow on a total stranger, who needed it RIGHT THEN, and God put you there to deliver. - Carrie Hamilton
- It's hard to forget someone who gave me so much to remember.
- Sometimes memories sneak out of my eyes and roll down my cheeks.
- There is no foot too small, that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.
- Blessed are they that mourn for they shall be comforted. - Matthew 5:4
- The Lord watch between me and thee, while we are absent one from another. - Genesis 31:49
- A heart of gold stopped beating / Working hands at rest / God broke our hearts to prove to us / He only takes the best / Leave and flowers may wither / The golden sun may set /But the hearts that loved you dearly / Are the ones that won't forget
- To the world you may be one person; but to one person you may be the world. - Dr. Seuss
- As long as we live, they too will live; for they are now are a part of us; as we remember them. - Jewish Prayer
- Lives are like rivers: Eventually they go where they must. Not where we want them to. - Richard Russo
- Love is how often you stay alive, even after you are gone. - Mitch Albom
- The loss is immeasurable, but so is the love left behind.
- Rest in Peace
- May She Rest in Peace
- May He Rest in Peace
- May They Rest in Peace
- Our Lord Give Us Peace
- Rest In God’s Loving Care
- The Just Man Shall Be In Rest
- Eternal Rest Grant Unto Them O Lord
- And You May Find Eternal Rest
- Sleep on Now, and Take Your Rest
- Mother of Christ Pray for Us
- Mother of Mercy Pray for Us
- Mother of God Pray for Us
- Holy Mary Pray for Us
- Our Lady of Lourdes Pray for Us
- St. Joseph Pray for Us
- St. Anthony Pray for Us
- St. Jude Pray for Us
- St. Patrick of Ireland Pray for Us
- Pray for Me to the Lord, Our God
- Have Mercy On Us O Lord
- Lord Have Mercy
- Lord Have Mercy Upon Us
- Heart of Jesus Have Mercy On Us
- Christ Have Mercy On Us
- My Jesus mercy
- I Am the good Shepherd
- I Am the Bread of Life
- I Am the Light of Life
- Jesus, Mary and Joseph
- To Jesus Through Mary
- Blessed Be God
- Bless His Holy Name
- Blessed Are They That Trust In Him
- Blessed Are the Pure of Heart
- Blessed Is the Man Who Maketh the Lord His Trust
- The Lord Is My Refuge
- God Is Our Refuge and Our Strength
- My God and My All
- My God I Love Thee
- My Lord and My God
- Sacred Heart of Jesus
- The Lord Be with You
- In God’s Loving Care
- Go to God Little Angel
- A heart of Gold stopped beating, two shining eyes at rest. God broke our hearts to prove, He only takes the best.
- Queen of the Most Holy Rosary
- Heart of Mary Be Our Salvation
- Hail Mary Full of Grace
- Together Forever
- Together Forever With God
- We Know That for Those Who Love God, All Things Work Together for Good
- My Kingdom is Not of this World
- Theirs Is the Kingdom of Heaven
- In Thee O God have I Hoped
- My Soul Hath Hoped In the Lord
- We Are Saved by Hope
- Thy Faith Hath Saved Me
- I Have Kept the Faith
- I Know Heaven Is a Beautiful Place Because They've Got You
Other Religious Inscriptions
- Do All for the Glory of God
- Let All that You Do Be Done in Charity
- Into Thy Hands I Commend My Spirit
- He Who Believes In Me Hath Life Everlasting
- May the Angels Lead You Into Paradise
- Let Perpetual Light Shine Upon Them
- Thy Will Be Done
Uncover More Tips About Designing a Memorial
An engraved quote is one of the many design options to consider when personalizing a memorial. Uncover even more about memorial design in our Headstone Design Guide. You'll learn what questions to ask before purchasing a memorial, as well as headstone design tips and options.
Editor's note: This blog post was originally published in 2018. We updated it in 2020 to be more comprehensive and current.