Choosing the right inscription to be engraved on a loved one’s memorial or monument can take days for some and months for others.
Memorial inscriptions—or epitaphs—are engraved on monuments like cemetery markers and mausoleums to portray the significance and memory of the deceased.
Many times, memorial or monuments include basic facts about the deceased like their name and birth and death date. However, including a personal inscription or special saying helps make your loved one’s final resting place much more comforting and unique.
It’s common for many inscriptions to take verses from the Bible, religious text or literary quotes. But, when deciding upon an inscription, it’s important to consider what kind of message your loved one would want to be remembered by.
Below, we’ve provided common religious and non-religious memorial inscriptions and categorized them as a starting point for inspiration.
- We miss you and love you always!
- Loving you forever.
- Forever in our hearts.
- Nothing can ever take away a love the heart holds dear.
- Those that touch our lives, stay in our hearts forever.
- There are special people in our lives who never leave us, even after they are gone. -D. Morgan
- Your life was a blessing, your memory a treasure. You are loved beyond words and missed beyond measure.
- When someone you love becomes a memory, the memory becomes a treasure.
- We do not remember days, we remember moments. -Cesare Pavese
- Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened. -Dr. Seuss
- Not a day goes by when you are not loved and missed.
- The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen of even touched, they must be felt with the heart. -Helen Keller
- A heart of gold stopped beating Working hands at rest / God broke our hearts to prove to us / He only takes the best Leaves and flowers may wither / The golden sun may set / But the hearts that loved you dearly / Are the ones that won’t forget.
- You left your paw prints all over our hearts forever.
- You may be gone from my sight, but you are never gone from my heart.
- Our hearts still ache in sadness and secret tears still flow. What it means to lose you, no one will ever know.
- It broke my heart to lose you, but you didn't go alone. Part of me went with you, where ever you may roam.
- Remembering you is easy. I do it every day but there is an ache within my heart that will never go away.
- I did not see you close your eyes or hear your last sigh. I only heard that you were gone, too late to say goodbye.
- No farewell words were spoken, there was no time to say goodbye. You were gone before we knew it and only God knows why.
- You will forever be by always.
- Goodbye is not forever. Goodbye is not the end. It simply means I'll miss you until we meet again.
- If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together, there is something you must always remember. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. But the most important thing is, even if we're apart, I'll always be with you. -Winnie The Pooh
- How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard. -Winnie The Pooh
- There are no goodbyes for us. Wherever you are, you will always be in my heart. -Mahatma Gandhi
- I'll remember you. When I've forgotten all the rest. You to me were true. You to me were the best. -Bob Dylan
- May you be in heaven a full half hour before the devil knows you are dead. -Irish Blessing
- Know when to seek peace / For as long as the moon shall rise / For as long as the rivers shall flow / For as long as the sun shall shine / For as long as the grass shall grow /Let us have peace - Native American Poem
- Our legacy is really the lives we touch, the inspiration we give, altering someone's plan - if even for a moment - and getting them to think, cry, laugh, argue. More than anything, we are remembered for our smiles; the ones we share with our closest and dearest, and the ones we bestow on a total stranger, who needed it RIGHT THEN, and God put you there to deliver. -Carrie Hamilton
- It's hard to forget someone who gave me so much to remember.
- Sometimes memories sneak out of my eyes and roll down my cheeks.
- There is no foot too small, that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.
- Blessed are they that mourn for they shall be comforted. -Matthew 5:4
- The Lord watch between me and thee, while we are absent one from another. - Genesis 31:49
- A heart of gold stopped beating / Working hands at rest / God broke our hearts to prove to us / He only takes the best / Leave and flowers may wither / The golden sun may set /But the hearts that loved you dearly / Are the ones that won't forget
- To the world you may be one person; but to one person you may be the world. - Dr. Seuss
Other Religious Inscriptions
Selecting the Right Memorial Inscription
Choosing the right inscription for your cemetery markers, mausoleums and monuments can be difficult, which is why working with caring and experienced professionals is essential.
Milano Monuments has 50 years of experience in the memorial industry and operates on the belief that quality service to our customers always comes first.
Contact Milano Monuments to learn more about our services and team.